General Purposes Committee
Purpose of committee
(i) Elections: To exercise powers in relation to the holding of elections and the maintenance of the electoral register including:-
· the provision of assistance at European Parliamentary elections;
· power to make submissions to the Local Government Commission in relation to the boundaries of the borough or ward boundaries;
· the appointment of a proper officer for the purposes of giving various notices in relation to elections and referenda (e.g. in relation to the verification number for petitions for a referendum under LGA 2000).
(ii) Appointments of officers or Members to external bodies.
(iii) To recommend to Council the introduction, amendment or revocation of by-laws.
(iv) Responsibility for the appointment and revocation of local authority governors.
(v) Any other functions which under the Local Authorities (Functions and Responsibilities) (England) Regulations 2000, may not be the responsibility of the Cabinet and which are not delegated elsewhere under this Constitution.
(vi) To make changes to the membership and substitute membership of committees appointed by the Council and their subordinate bodies, consistent with the proportionality rules.
(vii) To make non material changes to the Constitution upon the recommendation of the Monitoring Officer
- Councillor Shiria Khatun (Chair)
- Councillor Peter Golds (Deputy)
- Councillor Aminur Khan
- Councillor Rajib Ahmed
- Councillor Marc Francis
- Councillor John Pierce
- Councillor Khales Uddin Ahmed (Deputy)
- Councillor Alibor Choudhury
- Councillor Craig Aston
- Councillor David Snowdon (Deputy)
- Councillor Bill Turner (Deputy)
- Councillor M. A. Mukit MBE (Deputy)
Support officer: Evelyn Akoto. Tel: 020 7364 4207, E-mail: email@example.com