Purpose of committee
The Cabinet is made up of the elected Mayor, the Deputy Mayor and eight Lead Members (as appointed by the Mayor). Each Lead Member has an area of responsibility based on Council services. The quorum for the Cabinet is three Members.
The Mayor and Cabinet are responsible for most major decisions of the Council within the budget and policy framework (as set by Full Council). This includes: preparing the budget and plans for the Council to consider; implementing and monitoring them; considering recommendations from scrutiny bodies and Executive Key Decisions.The Mayor is Lutfur Rahman and he and his Cabinet are all from the Tower Hamlets First Group. Guidance on the Cabinet can be found here
Meetings of the Cabinet are normally held on a monthly basis on a Wednesday evening at the Town Hall Mulberry Place and are open to the public to attend. A timetable for the meetings dates and deadlines can be found here. A guide to the Cabinet including how you may get involved can be found in our ways of participation page
A decision notice for any ‘key decision’ to be taken by the Mayor and Cabinet must be published on the website at least 28 days in advance. They will be published individually on the Forthcoming Decisions page on the website and normally included in the monthly Executive Forward Plan published 28 calendar days before each Cabinet meeting.
The Mayor may also take decisions outside of Cabinet as a Mayor’s Executive Decision’s and these are published on the website under the committee list.
Useful Links – Council Constitution
· Role of the Mayor and Cabinet (Part 2, Article 7) pgs 25-26.
· Decision Making and Key Decisions (Part 2, Article 13) pgs 45-46.
· Executive Functions (Part 3.2, Responsibility for Functions) pgs 91-92.
· Terms of Reference of the Cabinet (Part 3. 4.1) Responsibility for Functions pg 117.
· Executive Procedural Rules (Part 4.4, Rules of Procedure) pgs 183-195
- Mayor Lutfur Rahman (Mayor)
- Councillor Oliur Rahman (Deputy Mayor)
- Councillor Ohid Ahmed
- Councillor Shahed Ali
- Councillor Abdul Asad
- Councillor Alibor Choudhury
- Councillor Shafiqul Haque
- Councillor Rabina Khan
- Councillor Aminur Khan
- Councillor Gulam Robbani
Support officer: Matthew Mannion, Democratic Services. Tel: 020 7364 4651, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web site: http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/committee